przyszłość Hell Dorado

przyszłość Hell Dorado

Postprzez zim » 17 mar 2008, o 20:44

TGN napisał(a):Will English cards be available separately when the English edition comes out?

If everything goes according to plan, the English version of all existing cards should be available for free download by the end of the month (two months at most). Eventually the English cards will be included inthe boxes for English-speaking countries.

There are a great many skirmish games to choose from. Helldorado has some lovely miniatures, but what makes it stand out as a game? What gameplay advantages does it offer to Alkemy, for example?

Unfortunately I can’t tell you what Hell Dorado does have that other games in general or Alkemy in particular do not, I don’t play those games so that I don’t get under their influence too much. I can tell you what I believe are the strong points of Hell Dorado, but I can’t tell whether these strong points are exclusive to Hell Dorado or not:

* fast pace (a game lasts from 30 min to an hour);
* preparing the battlefield is a crucial step that is really fully integrated within the game;
* the scenario objective is more important than the mere destruction of the opponent;
* the limited play area is easier to transport;
* the interaction with scenery elements constitutes a game within the game;
* the possibility to measure any distance at any time prevents many conflicts;
* the “controlled” alternate activation;
* a precise yet not complex set of rules;
* an evolving universe;
* an “extreme” background (which I admit can also be considered as a negative point)
* the possibility to finally get to paint ALL the miniatures in your army since you only need ten-ish to play.

Will Hell Dorado have an evolving story line? Will the story be like Warmachine/Hordes, where Privateer Press advances the story line with each supplement, or will the story be more like that of Warhammer, where there’s a great deal of history that keeps getting filled in but the story doesn’t actually move forward?

We all have a RPG background, thus we obviously want to “tell a story”. The storyline is therefore meant to significantly evolve. Every year will correspond to a year in the background of the game (2008 for 1634, 2009 for 1635,…).
Each new tournament season spans over 3 to 4 months and is influenced by the results of the previous season. Moreover there will be 4-5 large tournaments a year at the end of which the winners (individually or by faction) will get to influence technical (model profile, advantage cards) or background elements of the game.

Is there any plans in the near future of selling models from the starter boxes as singles?

We are thinking about it, but it’s up to our sales department to decide on how this will work. Until then, these miniatures are already available with “Prima Materia” points you can win in tournaments.

Was it an intent all along that you were going to “push the envelope” with your sculpts, more than any other game really has so far, and make some of your sculpts much more adult themed? Or was it just a by-product of the background itself and not as much a conscious decision?

We decided from day one to create a mature audience game. In my mind, Hell is not a holiday resort for muscly, sexy, and horny demons. I see it more like the version described by Dante, Hieronymus Bosch, or Hellraiser than like a version illustrated by Boris Vallejo or Walt Disney. Hell is a place of perdition, torture, sex, and violence, both physical and spiritual. What would be the interest in making a game taking place in Hell without including those elements? Moreover, our choice to have the game take place during the Thirty Years’ war required us to create miniatures with a violent and adult look.

Also, have you run into any problems with retailers carrying your product due to the nature of some of your scultps?

Indeed some retailers and gamers don’t like some miniatures, the ambiance of the game, or some artworks. However we prefer to create a game with a narrower target audience but that matches the idea we originally had in mind rather than a sterilized version that would be more accessible to everyone.
As far as distributing the game abroad, I personally understand that some artworks might be removed because considered too provocative, but I won’t accept that the miniature sculpts be changed. If they are not to the taste of a distributor, they don’t have to carry them.

The Lost faction is roughly divided in 3 sub-factions with their corresponding Officer, Independant, and Troopers: the insect models (Bran, the Swarming and the Retiarii), reptile models (Isha, Saurav-Geet, and the other squamata warriors), and bird models (Etruscilla, Vorenus, and the corvus praetorians). Will the future expansion(s) stick to those three ‘races’, or will there be a new race for each new Officer? Also is it part of the concept of the Lost army that they don’t have Infernalists?

We will keep on developing these three races for the Losts, and perhaps one additional one, but there will not be one race per Officer. In our minds the main race of the Lost is the Squamata (which will be the most developed eventually).

Each faction has its own specificities (no wound threshold for Demons, lots of shooters for the Westerners,…), and the Losts are indeed meant to not get Infernalists, or perhaps only scarcely any.

You’ve confirmed an upcoming Buddhist faction. Is there anything more you can share about it? How similar to / different from the other factions will it play?

The new faction will mix humans and demons, and the balance between the two should have a large impact on how a company plays (depending on something like a Yin & Yang idea).

You’ve also mentioned that the expansion should release in early 2009. Will it be released in several languages simultaneously?

We’re already late on the French version… so I won’t comment on the likelihood of a simultaneous release. However it appears that Spanish and Italian distributors are willing to develop the game in a fast and clever way, and I’ll make sure the English version of the cards and the rules is available as quickly as possible, even if not necessarily “officially” (through the Internet for example).

With the continuously rising price of tin and the increasing number of companies releasing plastic miniatures, what made you decide to stick to pewter?

There are many reasons. First we wanted to create a game with beautiful miniatures to paint, a game that’d attract painters as much as gamers. I consider metal to be more noble and enjoyable to paint than plastic which is either brittle or squishy and is more likely to have paint chip. Then, from a mere physical standpoint, we like to play with metal minis that have a certain heft.

I personally think that the investment in time and money you make with metal miniatures you paint implies a stronger sentimental attachment to those miniatures. I’ve always considered games with plastic miniatures as toys rather than games. Don’t get me wrong though, I don’t disparage plastic miniatures, far from it. I consider that the future of miniature gaming will probably be prepainted plastic, but the moulding and painting quality that is achievable today does not match the standards we wanted for Hell Dorado.

Has the interest in the game from English speaking gamers surprised you?

Not really. Gamers of every country are familiar with the same fantasy universes, play the same games, watch the same movies, read the same books. There are obviously cultural specificities, a taste for some ambiances rather than others… But in the end each market’s particularities is shown more at the distributors level than at the gamers level. For example both the Germans and the Americans seem to appreciate Hell Dorado, but German distributors don’t like the violent/gore side of the game while American distributors are more bothered with the sexually explicit and religiously disrespectful aspect.

What was the inspiration for the game’s background and setting?

As I already mentioned, we are RPG designers even before being miniature gamers. Therefore we wanted to create a universe as much as to develop a game system coherent with the way we play today (less time to paint and to play). We wanted a fantasy universe that’d give us the leeway for a wide variety of crazy creations, but also a universe partially anchored in reality.

We liked really early the idea to go 180° from the traditional image of the creatures of Hell invading Earth. So we started to develop the concept of Humanity colonizing a Hell where Demons only want to keep doing their jobs in peace. The next step was just to connect this fantasy element with reality. The Middle-Ages had been used over and over again, so we wanted to get away from that period. The Thirty Years’ war was a natural choice with its violence, with its religion side we wanted to introduce in the game, and with its mix of modernism and archaism…

Once we connected these two themes, Hell Dorado was born.
zim
sergeant first class
sergeant first class

przyszłość Hell Dorado

Postprzez mdzi1 » 18 mar 2008, o 05:01

Najbardziej interesującej mnie informacji, tzn. daty wydania podręcznika po angielsku, niestety w tym tekście nie ma. :( Dobrze, że karty angielskie będą już wkrótce do ściągnięcia ze strony HD. Czekam na nowe squamaty. :)
mdzi1
master sergeant
master sergeant

przyszłość Hell Dorado

Postprzez zim » 18 mar 2008, o 07:47

(...) and I’ll make sure the English version of the cards and the rules is available as quickly as possible, even if not necessarily “officially” (through the Internet for example).

mi to dało do myślenia, bo może być tak, że wcale podręcznika papierowego nie będzie... dla mnie to nie problem, ale sporo malkontentów się obruszy z pewnością.
zim
sergeant first class
sergeant first class

przyszłość Hell Dorado

Postprzez zim » 18 mar 2008, o 10:01

z beczki obok zatytułowanej 'najbliższa przyszłość Hell Dorado w Polsce' --- Vasquez potwierdził, że dostawa HD do Mgły jest już w drodze ! :D
zim
sergeant first class
sergeant first class

przyszłość Hell Dorado

Postprzez mdzi1 » 18 mar 2008, o 13:50

To było przy okazji pytania o wydanie nowego dodatku i symultaniczność tłumaczenia.
Myślę, że na główny podręcznik, w większości już przetłumaczony ,mamy szanse.
mdzi1
master sergeant
master sergeant

przyszłość Hell Dorado

Postprzez PiMP.paranoia » 18 mar 2008, o 14:41

You’ve confirmed an upcoming Buddhist faction. Is there anything more you can share about it? How similar to / different from the other factions will it play?

The new faction will mix humans and demons, and the balance between the two should have a large impact on how a company plays (depending on something like a Yin & Yang idea).

Fajna opcja=)
PiMP.paranoia
private
private

przyszłość Hell Dorado

Postprzez Noah2 » 18 mar 2008, o 15:21

A mówiłem, że będzie nowa armia :) Całkiem ciekawa idea z tym mieszaniem ludzi i demonów. Żeby tylko nie przekombinowali.
Noah2
private
private

przyszłość Hell Dorado

Postprzez Xerxes » 18 mar 2008, o 19:58

jak już mówiłem. Sha ren Zhe do najemników to demon buddysta. Można sie spodziewać wrednych rzeczy :)
Xerxes
private first class
private first class

przyszłość Hell Dorado

Postprzez Xerxes » 23 mar 2008, o 23:04

Panowie z obecnego podręcznika zostały następujące modele:

westerners:
Spadassin (1 wave)

Saraceni:
Fatima i Ifryt (myśle że 1 wave, ale jak coś to max 2)

Demony:
Whinning i deamon of flesh (max 2 wavy bo demon to trooper)

Lości
Strzyga, saurav geet, spitting squamata (myśle że załatwią to w 2 wavach)

mercenaries:
Gilles (oficer)
Abd ar-Rahman ibn Muldjam
Angelo Casaviecchi
Charon
Helle Moller
Sha ren Zhe
Russian Trapper
Trente deniers
Deserter (trooper)

Rzecz w tym że podstawowe armie pojawią się w 2 wavach tak więc w okolicy Sierpnia. Potem już będą wychodziły masy najemników( 5-6 wavów).
Tak więc albo będzie to przestój albo Asmodee czymś zaskoczy :)
Xerxes
private first class
private first class

przyszłość Hell Dorado

Postprzez zim » 25 mar 2008, o 06:15

sporo tego dla Mercsów jeszcze się ostało. ciekawe czy ruszą z Buddystami jeszcze w tym roku, mam taką cichą nadzieję :)
zim
sergeant first class
sergeant first class

Powrót do HELLDORADO